Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Frostbite 15K 2016 - One in falling snow

January in Richmond is mostly cold and wet. Rain, snow or sleet that depends on your luck. The race is aptly named ForstBite 15K. The race is kind of hard for me, not only beause of the cold, rain, snow etc, but also it's running off-season for me. This is the time when I am just back from a long vacation with loose legs and more pounds. The reason I ran it for the second time, first it's good to see familiar faces running after good few months second, i guess i love the challenge to get out of hibernaton and third, just check my fitness level.

The couse is out and back through the neighborhood next to Maymont park, and then in the Byrd park around its three lakes. The Byrd park part is very tricky. Understanding which way to go around which lake is one of the questions best left answered by course marshals. Light snow was falling when my wife and I reached there around 8:30. She opted to volunteer at the finish line.

The race started promptly around 9 AM. The first two miles make a lollipop loop back to starting point on the opposite direction of Maymonth through Harrison St. These first two miles on road after long vacation tells you a lot about how good the vacation was. The legs resist sudden movements and even some part of brain was supporting them. I was at my more-than-comfortable pace, pacing just enough to keep legs moving.

Next the route took us to the neighborhood near Maymont park. Few turns on the outer roads took us to Hampton St. There are some rolling hills along the way, but nothing which could make you breathe harder. My legs were feeling better now, stable breathing and even the brain was back in running mode. First few miles after break are always hard. As the course approached mile 4, we entered Byrd Park, where the course got tricky. From far I could see runners all around the Shields Lake. The course marshal directed us to go clockwise around Shield Lake and the anti-clockwise around Swan Lake. I was almost half way point around fountain lake and it was snowing heavy now. The white snow started to put thin blanket on grass. The road was wet but clean. The responsible course marshals were standing their ground and directing runners on the tricky route.

The return route was anti clock wise thorugh Swan lake. At this point I could see faster runners at the other end of lake and slower ones on the other side of road, which is very rare to see in a race. It was already 7 miles, lot more than i preferred, and the snow has turned into wintery-mix, and i felt that temprature is few degrees colder near the lakes. The volunteers and course marshals working hard to guide and assist every runner on course. After 4 miles in and around Bryd park we were back in neigborhood roads. The road was clean but all the grass was under white blanket.  The only thing i wanted was something dry and warm. It did not take long to finish another mile and i finished my 15K in a slow pace with 1:47 hrs.

15K finisher in the falling snow


1 comment:

  1. I applaud you my friend ... and i think you are bloody crazy :)

    ReplyDelete