Sunday, January 29, 2017

Afterthoughts on the Legendary AO final - Federer vs Nadal

   
Credit : AP Photo
 
Just an hour ago it was 2 sets each, and I was really wishing (can i say demanding) for Rafa to win the 5th set. A break up in 5th was definitely the HELL YEAH moment, but then the plot unraveled itself in a twisted way, and Roger first broke back and then won 6-4, 3-6, 6-1,3-6, 6-3 to claim his 18th grand slam and 5th Australian open trophy.

For a few moments, I was upset, it hurts, Right? - just like old times when he lost all those finals to Djokovic, but unlike old times it did not last long. Federer was in tears in middle of Rod Laver arena just like old times. Nadal congratulated Federer on the net but you could see that his hurt to lose a slam final. You could see Federer sitting in his chair still trying to comprehend his win, and Nadal with a clenched jaw trying to hide his emotions.

In the presentation ceremony,  I was expecting Nadal to go through the regular routine but he did much more. He is not a great speaker but this time he outdid himself. He said of Roger 'I fight a lot, probably Roger deserved it a little bit more than me today' then added 'Just amazing the way that he is playing after such a long time without being on the tour. It's very difficult to make that happen. I feel very happy for you.' He even joked about being runner up for 3rd time.'It's the third time I have this (showing his plate) with me - it is beautiful but the trophy is better! ' But most of all he was hopeful for the future ' I'm just going to keep trying. I feel I am back at a very high level. I will keep fighting the whole season to have a great season and to come back here for so many years and keep trying to have that trophy with me.'

Then it was Roger's turn, and he floored me with this 'Tennis is a tough sport. There are no draws. If there were I would have been happy to accept one tonight and share it with Rafa' ' Keep playing Rafa. Tennis needs you.'

 These two are fighting it out on the tennis courts for a long long time. Throughout this week both of them talked about their meeting in Mallorca when Federer. with an injured knee, and Nadal. with wrist injury found it difficult to get together even for a charity match, and now they are back on top form.. The respect and love they have built for each other is exceptional. On a lighter note, Couples could learn a lot from them on the qualities of 'the' perfect couple. No, I still don't like calling them 'Fedal'

In my perfect world after losing to Federer for AO title, Nadal would have gone to win both French and Wimbledon, just like Federer did in 2009, but i know Murray, Djokovic and others are ready to pounce on the next opportunity.

But till that happens. Lets enjoy the moment and savor the memories. What a match! LEGENDS FOREVER!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for some other excellent article. Where else could anyone get that type of info in such a perfect manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such info. gmail login

    ReplyDelete