Sunday, October 30, 2016

Marine Corps Marathon - 2nd time but poorly organized

I was looking forward for this race as I was running it after a gap year, and I worked hard to get an entry to the MCM by scoring quick entry for MCM-1775K, and finishing those hills on a bad weather day, to earn the registration ticket.

Last time when i went to Marine Corps expo, I remember facing huge crowds, long lines and losing my bars/gels before entering the expo in DC Armory. However this time it was moved to a resort in National Harbor, Maryland because organizers couldn't get DC armory. Yes, some extra travel, but this place was much bigger and manageable than DC armory. The expo was ok. We collected race gear, took some pictures and traveled back home.

My wife and I traveled early to Washington DC,  but unlike last time, we couldn't catch the Metro, as  organizers failed to reach an arrangement to start metro lines early like MCMs before. There was a huge uproar from runners, so they opened the start line for an hour to accommodate runners. We parked in Crystal city early morning to catch the free shuttle, only to realize thousands other had the same plan. There was a runner only line with seemingly NO end. Somehow I was able to find the end of the line with few other runners. My wife walked to the metro station so she could find me along the way. We pre decided to meet at couple of points along the way.

Then our group got lucky, an empty bus stopped next to us, and we were directed to board the bus. Probably some confusion, but our wait times were reduced from at least an hour to absolute ZERO. The bus took us near the start area, so less walking than last time. After security, I waited in long port-potty line to get in my morning routine. I was kind of already tired after a long drive and standing in couple of long lines.

start line
I placed myself in the 5 hr group, even though i knew that's not going to happen. For a couple of miles I tagged with them before slowing down. My wife was there just after mile 1, waiting for me and clicking pictures. We missed our next spot after mile 4 (because we were on different sides). For next few miles we were running next to Rock creek to get to turn around point then back towards the Potomac. Around mile 10 we were at the stairs of JFK center. Mile 11 was dedicated to the soldiers fallen in line of duty. It was kind of emotional to see photos of young people who died young on line of duty.

politics at the national mall
I saw my wife again around mile 17, and then again on 18 around national mall. She was there as my biggest supporter. I love the national mall area, but i also dread what's coming next - the most boring strech of the race till we reach crystal city. I was slower now with some walking, and also it was getting hotter.

Now there was a bigger problem, around crystal city the water stops were out of cups. Yes, cups. That's the most stupid thing you could hear in later miles of a marathon. I was lucky that i got an empty bottle from my wife when i met her in Crystal city.

There were 2 more miles to go, and I was already pissed with the way organizers screwed up a great race. I finished around 5:55, which was much slower, but expected with my preparations this year.

I ran it 3 weeks after Chicago, and the difference was just too much. Chicago was amazing, but MCM really need to pull it's socks. Change in expo place, no metro arrangement for runners, long lines and then NO water cups. I must say my second time running MCM was worse than the first.





No comments:

Post a Comment