Sunday, December 31, 2017

My experience with MoviePass : Isn't it fantastic !?!


When in late August i saw a post on slickdeals about a 10$ per month service to watch unlimited movies, I was intrigued. Not that I watch too many movies every month, but at 10$ it was a tempting offer. Fpr cost of one, I could watch many more each month. I looked for loopholes and restrictions (1 movie a day, 2D only, no movie repeat) but it was not something that i couldn't risk 20$ for, so i signed up for two cards.

For next few weeks, MoviePass was the buzzword in news, and not necessarily for all good reasons. There were delays in receiving movie passes, AMC campaigning against it, critics and forums saying it wouldn't survive long term, and the website and app being down most of the time due to increased load. And I was thinking, at max i will lose 20$, so i was good for it.

Finally I received our two movie passes in early September, without any delays as many were mentioning in forums. To test it out i tried it in the regal theatre next to my house. I would be lying if i said that I was not somewhat hesitant in using it. I checked in the movie on my phone, and instantly it asked me to buy tickets in next 30 minutes. I gave 2 movie passes at the ticket counter, half expecting that cards fail to work. But what i got was two tickets fully paid. I was kind of surprised. No hassles. That not what the forums or reviews said.

Since then we have used it 22 more times in last three and half months, and it always work just like a charm. I agree that I wouldn't have watched all 23 if not for movie pass, but wouldn't ve missed few big ones like Thor, Coco, Jumanji and Star Wars.  However, because of it we were able to watch a few absolute good ones, like Three billboards outside ebbing missouri, Murder on orient express, Dunkirk etc. And i would say the best part is, you only regret losing time (and not money) when you see a bad one.

Our experience with MoviePass has been just fantastic in last 3.5 months. It is so easy to change your routine shopping trip to movie night (or day) now. Also, our movie and dinner nights are somewhat lighter on the pocket now. I would say that's a definite win. Did i mention we got first two weeks free.

They also have a yearly plan now and it saves 30$ per year on already low price. But I am still not convinced to convert to yearly plan, so i will keep monthly plan for now . Perhaps things will change next year with MoviePass for better or worse as they are putting new restrictions (GPS tracking, 9 month block and fines), but right now it's definitely a GOOD choice to have. 

2 comments:

  1. Super awesome deal 🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Also, we collected so many regal points, which we are now using ;)

      Delete