Saturday, May 21, 2016

Race 13.1 Richmond - The One in the RAIN


          Today's race is one I will remember for long time. I remember races in different ways - The PR one, The one i love, That one I hate, Love that flat course, Oh,That hill killed me, The amazing medal,  etc.  And then there are those I remember for more elemental stuff  - The one after the blizzard, 10 inches of snow, OMG it was 90 degrees. Today's race falls in this category with pouring rain most of the course, it was certainly a race to remember.


          Just incase you are on fence about volunteering at an race 13.1 event, may be this would help. The reason I registered as soon as the race was open because I volunteered at finish line last year and the good organizers gave free race bucks just enough to cover the race cost.

     
 The weather forecast for the race was bad. 90-100% probability of rain. My wife, who chose to volunteer at finish line, and I were at the fence even when we were driving to the RIR complex.
"If it keeps raining like this at the start of race, we will not do it" we decided. We even joked about people showing up in this weather "Can a runner get first,second and third if no other runner shows up in his/her division?" But we also know that runners are a crazy bunch and they always show up.
 My faith on crazy runners was reaffirmed when I saw a nearly full parking lot. Runners were heading towards the start line without a slight care for the rain, and it was almost pouring by then.

Start line shadowed by clouds
         It was kind of exciting to be in a NASCAR race track and looking at those steep banks and colorful seating tower from inside. Even in this weather there were at least 300 people trying to find any possible shelter from rain before the race start. Some daring ones were already at the start line 10 minutes before. The start/finish line was at the RIR Pit stop section, adorned with giant neon green inflatable, which is a significant improvement on last year's out of raceway start/finish. The only discussion point among runners was, rain " You made me run in this weather. Now you have to do Charlottesville", "Do you think it will stop later?" "This is gonna be so much fun"

Braving the rain at start
         The race started exactly on time, and luckily my Garmin caught satellite just seconds before it. (Runners will understand how lucky that is) I waved to my wife, who was making a start video for our blog and crossed the start line. The first mile was on the racetrack where average speeds go around 100mph. At 6-7mph we must be the slowest bunch ever to take a lap. The race track is 3/4th of a mile, so it was more than a lap to cross the first mile. The track is banked at around 10 degrees so all runners were on the  flat inner side of track.  After the first mile we headed out to the access tunnel. Even though it was raining I was trying to avoid any puddles, but it was was impossible to do that once we were in the tunnel.

Pouring rain around mile 7
          I was drenched by the time I reached mile 2 on the tram path. The road was full of small big puddles. It was kind of fun to step hard on a puddle and making it splash. There was a U-turn just after mile 3 and we were back to the stadium. There was no timing mat placed at the U-turn. I guess organisers put more faith on runners than technology. Half way in mile 4 another turn took us out of the complex to the Caroline avenue. The mile long course was secured with lime green cones. I entered the raceway complex again from the other side through a unpaved path. The rain was like someone pouring buckets from the sky now. As we approached mile 7, I met a course marshal drenched in rain without any umbrella or raincoat. She was placed alone at a strategic point which runners would cross three times. Even most volunteers at waterstops had no cover. Still they were encouraging every runner on the course. Volunteers are the lifeline of any race event. I wish they were supplied with some type of rain cover.

Forest Lawn Cemetery mile 10
Again the course took us out of the raceway complex in mile 7. The turns through neighborhood were marked with direction placards. The volunteers and police were placed at key points to direct traffic. As I entered the Forest Lawn cemetery just before mile 9 the rain was reduced to drizzle. This cemetery was beautiful. All the greenery was glowing after the fresh rain. Flowers and (grey) tombstones were bringing hues in the green background. Here I started to follow a runner who was running at a very even pace. It was helpful as I did not had a long run in for a long time and now I was feeling that in my legs.

The final access tunnel- mile 12
A mile loop around the Forest lawn was refreshing. Even the rain was not bothersome now. I was back on the same neighborhood route towards raceway complex. I was somewhat tired but that was expected.  The 12 mile marker was just before the access tunnel to the track. Another runner and I tested the echo inside as we crossed it. We were back in the track infield and could see runners going around the track. The course marshal standing there was looked confused. The runner ahead of me entered the pit road instead of track. I asked him to tell her that, and got the response 'I guess she is going to quit'. Later I saw her coming back to the track road.


The last mile felt little longer than expected, but I guess I was tired. I crossed the 13 mile marker and sprinted towards the finish. Another runner sprinted with me. We crossed the finish line together, where my dear wife was cheering me with a medal in her hand. The long hug after a race is the best way to start a recovery, and that exactly what I got.



The post race pizza is always the best. You kind of feel deserving of that big slice. I loved running in the rain. This was the longest run I had in the rain. Running in NASCAR track was exciting too. The race was definitely organized better than the last year. Better start/finish, good post race food, amazing work by the volunteers in rain. There are a few things that could make this race even better like timing mats at key points, runner tracking at turnarounds, bag check, better directions and NOT having super diluted Gatorade at later waterstops. Overall, I liked this race and would definitely consider running it again sometime.





No comments:

Post a Comment